Recipes: Bacon & Cheddar Quiche

Leave a Comment
Recipes
 
Bacon & Cheddar Quiche
Mar 14th 2016, 04:52, by theunmanlychef

Quiche 3

If breakfast could have pies, it would be quiche. For those of you who have not had quiche (I didn’t have quiche until I was well into my early 20’s) it’s quite possibly one of the most delicious things you can eat. Especially for breakfast.

My love story with quiche starts at a college internship in 2008. There I was sitting at my desk, when suddenly a co-worker and fellow gourmand brings in this dish sent from the heavens. She let me have a bite, and essentially I was smitten. The warm buttery crust mixed in with the savory custardy filling, her name was Quiche Lorraine, and I was in love people.

Quiche 1

So like any responsible adult, I got the recipe from my co-worker and for essentially a 6-month time span all I did was make quiche lorraines and stuff my face with said quiches of lorraine.

When done right quiche is a delicate, creamy, and moist bite of essentially a custard pie. Quiche is historically a French food and it’s been popularized across most of the Western world, that makes sense because it’s so damn easy to make. Quiche can be difficult if you want to make your own crust and truly follow the real recipe, but who has time to make their own crust all the time? Not me.

I prefer to just use store-bought pie crust or a pre-made shell, I know. I know. The horror. But people, I don’t have time for making pie crust when all I want is quiche! Plus, store-bought pie crust is plenty delicious, so stop judging =).

Quiche 9

Quiche first popped up in cookbooks about 700 years ago in 14th century English and French cookbooks. The most famous of all quiches (in my opinion) is the quiche lorraine and for good reason it’s freaking delicious. What I’ve made for you is essentially a spin on quiche lorraine, typically you’re supposed to use ham and swiss, but I used cheddar and bacon instead because they have a much saltier savory flavor profile than the sometimes bland swiss. You can also opt to add caramelized onions, and I highly recommend it, I didn’t use it in this recipe but it’s a simple addition. So make this and you wont regret it!

Quiche 2

Recipe: Quiche Lorraine (sort of)

Ingredients

8   ounces bacon (about 8 slices) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2   large eggs
2   large egg yolks
1   cup whole milk
1   cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
4 Cheddar Cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
1  9- inch partially baked pie shell (warm), baked until light golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes

Method

Step 1 – Pre-Bake the pie shell until it’s golden brown.

Step 2- Mix your eggs, yolks, milk, and cream together.

Step 3- In the pie crust, spread a layer of cheese and then bacon.

Step 4- Pour your egg mixture over the first layer.

Step 5 – Add the rest of your cheese and bacon, then sprinkle your salt and pepper.

Step 6 – Bake in the oven at 350F for about 35 minutes (knife test – should come out clean from center). Allow to cool and serve.

 

 

Please rate this



Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment