Recipes: Cincinnati-Style Chili

Leave a Comment
Recipes
 
Cincinnati-Style Chili
Mar 14th 2016, 04:00, by noreply@blogger.com (Jan Drexler)

We love chili at the Cafe, don't we? I think I've shared at least three different recipes so far, and I'm only one of the baristas around here.

I was introduced to Cincinnati-style chili when I was in college. A friend from St. Louis made it for a bunch of us. I couldn't believe he served it on spaghetti! I've learned a lot since then. :)

The idea behind this chili, whether you like it "two way" or all the way up to "six way" (my personal favorite!), is that you keep layering on the toppings. Stop at any number you want to!

Cincinnati-Style Chili

First layer: Cook enough spaghetti to serve the number of people who will be eating. I like to break the spaghetti noodles in half before cooking. They're more manageable that way.

Second and Third layers: Now for this to be a true Cincinnati-style chili, the chili should be cooked without beans. Just hamburger, tomato sauce, and chili seasonings. I cook my beans in my chili, so the second layer (chili) and the third layer (beans) are together in the same ladle. I use my Savory Chili recipe for this dish. You can find that recipe here.  Or you can use your own favorite chili. You can even use some canned or frozen chili from the grocery store.

Fourth layer: Cheese. Not just any cheese. Sharp cheddar cheese, grated. I used Tillamook, our favorite!



Fifth layer: Diced onion. I think the sweet white onions make this dish sing, but you can use your favorite.



Sixth layer: Garlic. Mmm, I love garlic! Just put a clove in your garlic press and scatter it over your bowl of chili. Or, if you're in a hurry, use a dash or two of garlic powder.



One great thing about this dish is that it will serve a crowd. Just set up a buffet, starting with the spaghetti, and let people file along, putting on whatever toppings they wish.

There is spaghetti underneath all that yumminess.
I promise!
The only thing that could make this meal more delicious is ice cream for dessert, don't you think?


I'll have a "Salty Dog" with chocolate ice cream, please! (By the way, you can find my recipe for this delightful treat here.)

Let's talk - Have you ever had Cincinnati-Style chili? How do you like yours?


You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment