Recipes: Black-Eyed Peas with Onions and Red Peppers - Cookbook Countdown

Leave a Comment
Recipes
 
Black-Eyed Peas with Onions and Red Peppers - Cookbook Countdown
Mar 13th 2016, 13:02, by noreply@blogger.com (Zosia)

This month for Cookbook Countdown, a cooking event challenging me to cook from my rarely or never used cookbooks, I'm cooking from The New Portuguese Table by David Leite, one of my (no longer) neglected cookbooks.

The book is a collection of new and classic Portuguese recipes but this black-eyed pea recipe, Feijão Frade com Cebolas e Pimento Vermelho, is from among the author's family favourites.

Black-eyed peas are one of my favourite legumes; they have an inherent sweetness to them and they take less time to prepare than most. For this recipe, the dried peas were soaked then simmered in stock (I used vegetable to keep it vegetarian) for an extra layer of flavour. Sautéed onions and sweet red bell peppers added texture and extra sweetness and there was some fresh parsley for a pop of colour.
Tasty hot or at room temperature, this would be a welcome side at any family meal or potluck but I tossed it with some peppery greens and a drizzle of lemon juice for a main course salad. This one's a keeper.
I'm linking this post to Cookbook Countdown hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment